Saturday, April 30, 2011

Brief update

Ciao Friends!

So I have made it back from Greek Week (our spring break trip in Greece!). Kelsey, Amy, Tasha, Erica and I went for 10 days and went to Crete, Mykonos then Athens. It was a greattttt week and a half!! However that will have to wait! I currently am 'working' on my final papers and we have finals starting soon!! SO slowly but surely I will put up posts about Greece and Sicily. ANDD Gretchen is coming to play!! YAYYY We so excited!! She'll be here right at the end of finals so thats the most wonderful thing ever!

I do have a few quick things to tell though! Before Sicily, was culture week in Rome so Kelsey and I took advantage of the free-ish museums to go do some undone sight-seeing. We took Kelsey, Francesca's best friend from school, to Castle Sant' Angelo and then I went to the Capitoline Museums on my own. It was a beautiful day and once in the castle, you have great view of Rome including the Vatican! It's usually 8 euro but we got in fo free! Win. It was lovely going because it's not quite a top hot spot so there weren't to many tourists up there. It was originally built as Emperor Hadrian's mausoleum but was used as a safe place for the popes when the city was in danger like in a fire or under siege. And the statues on the bridge that lead straight up to it are all Berninis.




Afterwards, my Kelsey went back to nap and Francesca's Kelsey went to meet Francesca at the Colosseum and I went on to the Capitoline Museums. They were a gift to the city by a pope a long time ago I can't remember exactly when but I want to say the 1700's. It houses mostly statues that are important to the Roman heritage like those of emperors, gods, goddesses and philosophers. There is also the famous Lupa statue as well. She's the she wolf that it was said saved Romulus and Remus as infants until a farmer came along to raise them. Romulus went on to found the city of Rome in 735 BC.

Constantine

Hall of Statues

Augustus

Hall of the Philosophers

Original Equestrian Marcus Aurelius statue from the courtyard

Hadrian

Lupa

That has basically been all that I have been doing since I haven't been in Rome much in the past 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to my last few weeks here and going to make sure that they are full of the essentials (pizza pasta gelato). Minimal amount of school work ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment