Monday, January 10, 2011

Pre Departure: YOBS

Yikes on bikes (YOBS shout out 309..) is a common phrase that has become a part of my everyday life. It is used in scenarios when "yikes" will just not suffice. Going abroad to Rome, for example, is one of these instances.
I can't believe that I am leaving in a few short days. My nerves are starting to get jittery, as they have been known to do. I have been compiling all my most precious clothes and toiletries to come with me across the water to the most ancient city of ROMAA. I'm not quite looking forward to going on a plane for that long as I don't really enjoy flying; I get antsy to get off after a 2 1/2 flight to Florida. Oy. But there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel.
I've never had a blog because I think on the whole they are somewhat unnecessary. I even had to have my friend Meg set it up for me because I couldn't really figure it out, not that I tried very hard... However the trip of a lifetime is definitely a good reason for a blog. I'm going to do my best to write about all of my adventures! It's going to be quite a 4+ months. We recently got our housing assignment and I'm living with my friend Francesca and 2 other girls that I have yet to meet since they don't go to school with us. But I am so looking forward to it. We have an apartment in Trastevere, which looks so cute and trendyyyy and we're going to be able to cook for ourselves or just run down to one of the super great places in the piazza!!
I'm really looking forward to being able to get to know Rome. I took an Ancient Rome class so it will be fantastic to be able to walk through the Colosseum and the Forum and take walks out the Via Appia (a long road that was very important in ancient times for trading and moving armies across the empire, which was done more often then not). I can't wait to travel all over Italy and get to see the sights and eat my way around the country. I also plan to visit Paris and my lovely Gretchen, whose studying French and try to spend spring break in Greece. No matter what it's going to be the experience of a lifetime and I'm so looking forward to it!!! Here's to hoping the snow doesn't keep us on the ground! Yobs.

5 comments:

  1. GAHHHH SO EXCITINGGGGGGGGG

    Also your blog looks awesome. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! Please please please take lots of pictures/videos/updates for me. Love you. Life here won't be the same without you. Say hello to the motherland for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAIO BELLA! You're gonna have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun, Alice. It's hard not to have a great time in Southern Europe. Send a postcard if you can remember. I would love that, I miss Europe.
    Your neighbor,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice, you seem to enjoy good food. You should try their pasta alla carbonara, I know we get it here...try the local version.
    Irene

    ReplyDelete