Monday, March 7, 2011

The family comes to Rome: Part 5

In the final installment of the family trip saga, we ventured to the Vatican on their last full day, Friday. i have never been to the Vatican and it was quite something. We took some touristy pictures in the piazza in front including in the spot in the round part of the piazza, near the one fountain, where the back pillars disappear behind the front ones.

We went into the Basilica and it was huge! I mean I knew that it was big but actually being inside was wild. There were statues to some of the popes and they were pretty cool. Above the alter in the dome, you can see the people that are climbing to the top and they look so small! It doesn't look like it's that high up but the letters of the inscription that are underneath them are 6 feet tall and the people just look so small! Since we got up late, we skipped the catacombs and went straight to the Museums. I have to say they have a most impressive collection. Though I think all that money could have been spent in a different, better-for-humanity way, but we're going to keep that can of worms closed. I want to go back because they have the most amazing collection of ancient Greek and Roman statues. I could spend hours in those rooms but I was hurried along in the name of Raphael and the Sistine Chapel. Though not before I saw the coolest statues ever. Just about made my life.

Hello Apollo




This one was under restoration or something so this was all you could see and it was upsetting. Though this mostly all that matters. ITS JUST SO GREAT (It Perseus after he cut off the head of Medusa.) Just inside was more statues that were similar including ones representing Hercules, Claudius, Hera, Socrates, and Dionysus. This was when I was hurried along. Raphael's rooms were pretty cool too. I like knowing the history behind the paintings more then I think the paintings themselves but they were pretty awesome. In the last room, on the ceiling there was a painting of a marble statue that had fallen and broken and where it would have stood was a gold cross. Talk about a slap in the face the paganism. I understand being upset over being oppressed but that's a little harsh. Especially when it came to their oppression over other people. Again we're not going to open up this debate. The Sistine Chapel was also awesome. I don't know what I thought it was going to be but I guess something different. At first I thought it was rather small but the more I looked at just how much painting there was, it was alot to take in. Especially when I thought about laying on my back for 4 years or so to do the ceiling. I think I would get very tired of it. I would have to start sleeping standing up for variety. We had a book that told us all about it so I read about what it all meant so that was lovely to feel educated. We stayed there until they kicked us out to close the museum and then we kept getting shooed out of the gift shop. Rude. It's there for a reason...
We went back to their apartment before our final dinner near their apartment. I think I had the best gnocchi I've ever had that night. It was melt in your mouth mashed potatoes in a smooth red sauce. I want to go back just to have the gnocchi. SO GOOD.
The next morning I had to say good bye and it was strange and sad! I'm not going to see them for another 3 months. I mean there's skype but still. :( Lucky them though got to ride in a Mercedes.
After they all left, I spent the weekend recovering and catching up on sleep. It was much needed because we walked so much while they were here! Wish they could come back (I know they do too hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment