Saturday, March 5, 2011

The family comes to Rome: Part 4

This next part was one of my favorite parts because lets be serious it's my favorite place in Rome. On Wednesday, I only had class in the morning, so after we went to the Colosseum and the Forum. It was insanely windy that day which was unfortunate because it would have been a great day without the wind. It was pretty nice in the sun but there's only so much sun to go around. We spent awhile in the Colosseum and I enlightened them with all my wisdom. We mad our way over to the Forum, but not before I had to buy a sweatshirt because my north face was just not cutting it in the wind. I have to say, one of the best purchases my dad has made. I mean there are definitely other ones that were better, but at the time the competition was slim.
Again in the Forum, I taught them everything I knew and we had a great time. I even picked up a rock that was most definitely part of something important... maybe. We got to see the view of the forum from the gardens above on the Palatine hill but we didn't get to see the rest of the Palatine hill. Which I think is fine. You've seen one ancient roman imperial palace you've seen them all..? The forum was better either way.
We went to dinner at this place in Trastevere which was pretty good if I do say so. They had some really good fried artichokes which have become a reoccurring theme on the trip. We had a nice night just the fam. Anne apparently loves chocolate mousse because she misses camp. Nostalgia. who would've guessed.
The next day I had class all day and dad had to go to Naples (his one day talk paid for part of the trip. yay for business expenses!) Anne and Mom went sploring again this time to the Trevi and around. Mostly they just wanted to see the Spanish steps. They had been working on a puzzle of it all during the snow that kept them home bound for a while so naturally they wanted to see it in real life. Anne met a nice boys soccer team and has a picture with all of them. atta girl. never been prouder. That night Francesca joined us for dinner and we went to the Jewish ghetto to this great place. We had fried artichokes alla Guidea, which are the ones we've been having all along and are so good. We also tried these artichokes that were covered in batter then fried. They were also fabulous. That was a great dinner. They gave us free dessert and the waiter made a joke about dad being bald. All in all a great night.
Francesca, Anne and I went to get chocolate shots after wards. They were pretty freaking good. They are actually just chocolate shot glasses, with a small amount of liquor (like baileys or rum) with chocolate syrup poured in and then whipped cream on top. Generally there are sprinkles and other goodies on top. Francesca got one with Cayenne pepper on top and she said it was great. Her friend Eli had one when he was here visiting and highly suggested it. Anne and I had the regular baileys ones. Always a good choice. The three of us just went to a small bar and had a beer and watched some music videos that they were playing. It still boggles my mind how much they love Katy perry here. It was a great night. So many great nights I can't handle them all.
Up next: The trip comes to a close with the Vatican :(

No comments:

Post a Comment