Sunday, February 13, 2011

Even after the fall of the Empire, Rome is still the greatest.

Last we left off, I was the happiest camper at Camp Roma. This has been reinforced this past weekend with several events. First and foremost, Thursday night, Annie, Rachel, Francesca, Bridget and Kathryn and I went to a wine bar but not before we had chocolate shots. Greatest things. They are mini shot glasses made out of dark chocolate (I would prefer milk chocolate, but I struggled through it) with liquor in them, whipped cream on top and some sprinkles on top of that. WIN. The first one we had had Baileys in it was chocolate sprinkles on top; the second with mint Baileys and dried mint leaves on top. ummmm yummm yummmm. The 6 of us then spent the rest of the night hanging out at the wine bar just having a nice girls night.
Friday, Rachel, Bridget and I went to Naples for the day, because we can do that in Rome. We took the train down in probably the coldest car ever. It was Harry Potter style in that there were individual rooms and we had our own, due to the fact that the car was so cold. We took a cab to this pizza place, the one that Eat Pray Love was filmed in! It's called L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele and it was just wonderful. We waited for about a half hour and then we sat at the table where Julia sat during the movie! It was wonderful. There was a picture of her right next to our table, so we basically ate lunch with Julia. Not to mention the pizza was phenomenal. And super cheap! It was only 5 euro for a whole pizza. um yum. We got another pizza to go... :) Then we took the train back to Rome. We didn't really know anything else to do and it was dirty and creepy. Obviously Roma is superior. So we were in Naples for 3 hours and bought 2 pizzas. We took the train back and that was our day. Worth it.
Saturday, I ventured out again but this time I went to the beach with Kelsey, Amy and Natasha! It's only a 20 min train from Piramide, which is a short walk from my apartment and its covered under our monthly transportation pass. Another win? I think so.


It was a little cold, but we had some pizza and shared some champagne for a lovely afternoon picnic! Thinking about staying for the summer... find a job somewhere along the beach and rent a house? I think yes. Another reason Rome is better. 
That evening, Kelsey, Amy and I went to a AS Roma soccer match against Napoli (Naples) at the AS Roma stadium. It was awesome!! We could hear the crowd yelling and cheering before we got into the stadium, and it was putting American football to shame. As a Ravens fan, I was proud of how loud our stadium can get but this was inspiring. We had to move seats because they had closed our section to keep the Napoli and Roma fans separated. Apparently, this match has a history of fights. Go figure, fans clashing with the opposite fans. But we were able to stand very close to the front and were right by the cheering section, which was all guys. It was so loud at points that I had to yell to talk to Amy who was right next to me! And the best part? It was only 10 euros for my ticket. I plan on getting a sweatshirt, black of course and possibly a scarf so I can fit in when I go to another game. We also decided that we need to learn the chants for next time as well. Unfortunately Naples won, but I think they were all on steroids, because they were huge. I call for a drug test. 



Separated. For good reason. 

It was a weekend of more learning that's for sure. I can't wait to go to another game. The family comes on Thursday and IMSOEXCITED. Obvi looking forward to showing them everything that I've been doing in person! SO much to do; so much to plan! So little time!! (miss those olsen twins...?) 



No comments:

Post a Comment