Saturday, February 26, 2011

The family comes to Rome: Part 2: Florence

In the second part of this installation we are exploring the Thompson's trip to Florence. Not only are we out of America, but we are exploring multiple foreign cities. Too wild to comprehend.
We took the train up on Saturday morning and Mom was impressed with my knowledge of foreign transportation (she has also expressed that she is proud of my extensive knowledge of the bus/public transportation as well. I like to think that I'm doing a good job as well.) She had a pretty cool guy sitting next to her, which confirms that there are in fact Italian guidos. Not just american italian guidos. He was a glowing orange man. Whose hair did not move. Quite a feat.

Yes. Yes i did take a creeper pic.
Once again thank you expensive phone.


Moving on. We checked into our hotel which was right on the Arno about 2 blocks from the Uffizi so it was some prime location. Good work Dad. We wandered through the streets to get lunch and then ate in the piazza outside of the City hall/Medici Castle that I have discussed previously. It was still pretty impressive the size of the castle a second time. I believe this was when we made our way to the Duomo to climb to the top. Since I didn't get to go the first time I was determined this time. We went inside this time as well, which for some reason we neglected to do last time as well.. Anyway. the inside was much more plain then I thought it was going to be except for the top of the dome which is, as Francesca has reminded me, several times, that it is the Divine Comedy by Dante. Which I think is somewhat disturbing for the top of a church, given that there is a three headed devil that is consuming people..? Dante was from Florence which is the only reason that I can think that they would put it on the dome. Nonetheless it was a beautiful painting. I wouldn't have wanted to be the one to paint it; it would give me an awful crick in my neck, and I have 0 artistic ability with a paintbrush/pencil etc. I am very good at coloring but that's not quite what they had in mind I think. 



Making our way to the top wasn't bad. There are 463 steps to the top. Fine. it wasn't until we actually had to climb straight up the dome that I became nervous like I've never been before. Conclusion: I have  a fear of falling into the abyss. News to me. I don't know what abyss i would fall into because there was about 400 steps worth of concrete to hit first. Nonetheless new fear discovered. Being at the top was not a problem because it was a stunning view. I really loved being able to see all of Florence. I could point out all the places that I'd been last time and see forever. We could see the mountains all around and everyone looked so small! Like little ants everywhere.



It was great. I can't remember if we took a family picture up there, but it's def a contender for next years christmas card (if we can organize ourselves to get one out). Coming down the dome was just as bad as going up if not worse because I knew it was coming.  White knuckles all the way. And even more so when we went down a spiral staircase that was never ending. Whatever. I made it to the bottom in one piece. Im wondering what the Vatican will be like but Im trying to mentally prepare myself for it and my white knuckles will be ready.
We then walked to the Academia to see David. Just as beautiful as last time. The photo police were out in full force and actually threw a girl and her friend out. yikes. Fortunately I was able to take on when she had finished her shift.  hehe. Alice: 1 Photo police: 0


Post David, we walked around and did some shopping. I told Anne for her 16th birthday/ Christmas I would get her a leather jacket because that's what I got for my 16th birthday. It's a great jacket; dark brown with a big collar and the zipper off centered. Mom and I got the same bag in the same color as Anne's jacket and I got a nice little black change purse. We're an original bunch. Naturally I forgot to take a picture of Anne in her jacket but I'm sure I have one with her wearing it later on. We made our way back to the hotel after a long day, but not before we stopped in the Lindt store to get some chocolate. We had a fabulous dinner at a place not far from the hotel. We took a few quick pictures after dinner but then crashed because we were all so tired.
The next day, Sunday, we went and saw the Ponte Vecchio. And just like last time, it was raining. Boo. But that's ok we powered through it and I think we even got some good family pictures. We spent the majority of the day in the Uffizi, which was great the second time around too. I still wasn't allowed to take pictures. Bummer. I still love being able to see Julius Caesar's face, and Hadrian and Agrippa etc. All around win. And unfortunately this concludes the Thompson's trip to Florence as we caught the train after leaving the Uffizi. It was a great trip. Next Time: They are left to fend for themselves and we do the trevi fountain etc with a tour guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment